Last updated [March 2021]
Protecting your right to privacy of your personal information is of paramount importance to us and we have in place policies and procedures to ensure all your personal information, no matter how it has been obtained, is handled respectfully, sensitively, securely and in compliance with New Zealand’s privacy legislation.
1. Information we collect
What kind of information do we collect?
Generally, we will collect personal information directly from you: the range includes your name, current contact details, Date of Birth, formal identification (such as Driver’s Licence, and passport), financial information (including statements of assets and liabilities) and credit information.
We may also collect information about you from your access to our website for statistical purposes. This information is usually anonymous and we do not use it to identify individuals. However, due to the nature of internet protocols, such information might contain details that identify you, such as your IP address, internet service provider, the web page directing you and your activity on our website.
How do we collect it?
We may collect your personal information from a variety of sources, including:
- A GIANT Trading Account Application you complete and submit to us;
- A telephone or in-person inquiry or discussion about our products, services and accounts;
- GIANT point of sales systems;
- Third parties, such as our network contacts, credit providers, or credit reporting agencies and your representatives;
- Publicly available sources of information such as the Companies Office in relation to company extracts and shareholder/director information;
- Mail correspondence, emails or other electronic means (including ‘cookies’ stored when accessing our website).
2. Use of Personal Information
How do we use your information?
GIANT may use the information we collect about you for several purposes including:
- Process your transaction, track your order and administer your account, including in relation to Click and Collect transactions;
- Provide the information and services you requested;
- Send you promotional offers such as monthly specials;
- Advise you of announcements about new product release or changes to our current products and or/services;
- Providing information about product recalls;
- Address queries, warranty claims or resolve complaints;
- Assess your creditworthiness (for example, obtaining your credit history information) or undertake other (ongoing) checks/reviews (through the term of our engagement);
- Market, advertise or otherwise promote our products and/or services;
- Improve our website and our products and services; and
- Comply with our obligations under any applicable laws.
We may engage in direct marketing using or enclosing information collected indirectly about you from time to time.
In conducting our direct marketing activities, we will comply with all laws that are relevant to marketing, including the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007 and Fair Trading Act 1986. Please note:
- Consumers can subscribe to our database through the store websites only, where they will receive an email and must agree to receive marketing materials from us
- There is an opt out option on all of the electronic material we send out so the consumer can opt out at any time;
- We collect contact details at store level, and this is done verbally with the consumer;
- We collect contact information from the events we sponsor, on the basis that the entrants provide consent to receive material from sponsors of such events.
3. Disclosure of Personal information
We will never sell, trade or rent to any unaffiliated third parties your personally identifiable information collected by us. Generally, we will only disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected and purposes directly related to that purpose, with your consent, or as permitted by the Privacy Act and the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs).
When we contract with other companies to provide certain services such as shipping, we only provide the information they need to perform their services and work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected.
You have the right to tell us that you do not wish us to send information to you other than for the purpose for which we collect your personal information. We will always attempt to ensure our disclosure of personal information to other organisations is carried out in a manner which does not personally identify individuals.
Click and Collect
We may disclose your personal information to authorised retailers, in order to facilitate Click and Collect transactions. This includes:
- disclosing personal information to allow authorised retailers to identify you when you collect your item(s); and
- allowing authorised retailers to receive and store for collection, an item(s) that related to a Click and Collect transaction.
We note that all personal information disclosed to an authorised retailer by us will only be used for the purposes mentioned above, and will otherwise be stored safely and securely in accordance with the Privacy Act.
We may disclose your information to our related entities, supplier and partners that perform services for us overseas, such as our overseas supplies.
We will only disclose your information to such entities in accordance with the Privacy Act. This includes by obtaining your authorisation before we disclose your information to any entities that are not legally required to protect your information in a comparable manner as under the Act.
4. Storage and security of personal information
We store personal information collected in administrative files (both material and electronic copies) at our premises located in Australia. We will take steps to protect your information from loss, misuse, alteration or from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard all information collected. These efforts include filing client’s paperwork in locked cabinets as well as restricting physical access to our system.
GIANT regularly reviews security and encryption technologies and will strive to protect your personal information as fully as we protect our own confidential information.
5. Access to and correction of personal information
You can ask for access to your information such as your account balance, transactions or account details by logging in to our website https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nz/account/login, emailing or calling us. We in certain circumstances will ask for personal information for identifying purpose.
Generally, access to or correction of personal information will be provided free of charge; however, we may request payment of our reasonable costs in enabling such access or correction.
We encourage individuals to contact us if the information held is incorrect or notify us if information has changed. You may access, correct or update any of your personal information we hold by contacting us (see details below).
Access will be provided unless the request is unreasonable or the Privacy Act or IPPs permit or require us to decline that request.
If you have a concern about your privacy, you have a right to make a complaint and we’ll do everything we can to put matters right.
The complaint should be made in writing and directed to our Privacy Officer (details provided below). Receipt of your complaint will be acknowledged and we will endeavour to deal with your complaint and provide you a response within 30 days of our receipt of your complaint. Where a matter requires a more detailed investigation it may take longer to resolve. We will provide you with progress updates if this is the case and may seek further information from you.
Where required by the Privacy Act, we will provide written acknowledgment of your complaint and information on how we will deal with your complaint. Further, where we are required to do so by the Privacy Act, we will provide you in writing our determination on your complaint.
We may refuse to investigate and deal with a complaint if it is considered to be vexatious.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you are able to take your complaint to an external dispute resolution provider (in the case of a complaint in relation to credit-related personal information) that applies to us and/or the Office of the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner for resolution.
Further information about the changes to privacy law can be found on the Privacy Commissioner’s website at www.privacy.org.nz.
You can always contact us:
GIANT Bicycle Co. Pty. Ltd.
42 Olive Road, Penrose 1062
Phone: +64 9 580 1103